Sunday, June 17, 2007

Running with your humans on trails

I think we doggies have a lot we can teach our humans. There are a lot of things our humans should do to be polite, responsible dog companions, and to make us look good in the process. :)

My doggie etiquette tip of the day is about running. My mom takes me jogging with her on some nice trails in the woods in our city park. The trail has a sign that says dogs are permitted, but only on-leash.

Doggie friends - the better we follow the posted rules, the more non-dog people see how well-behaved we are, and the more human places we will be allowed to go! So my mom leaves me on the leash. (N.B.: This picture was taken on a different trail - no leash!)

  • If you're on a trail with limited room, it's nice for your human to have you walk to the side when you are passing by other people. Some humans are scared of dogs (even cute ones like terriers), so they have more room to pass without feeling threatened.
  • If you're on a trail where you are allowed to be off your leash, it is a nice courtesy if your human leashes you for a moment when people are passing, for the same reason. This is also true when passing another dog on a trail, until you know it's okay with the other human for you to go meet their dog.
  • And humans - don't forget water for your doggie! It was 90 degrees when we went running this afternoon (too hot!) and my mom had to give me her Gatorade. Heh heh! I really like running, but mostly I like to go pee on the trees. Which leads me to another point...
  • Humans - pick up the poo! We can't! And you don't want to step in it.

Well, I'll get off my doggie soapbox now. Does anyone else have other tips about running with humans? I hope everyone got to have a fun weekend - I sure did! I'm going to sleep all week.

1 comment:

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Hear hear! One of J1's pet hates is when other dog owners assume it's OK for them to break the rules. It just gives us dogs a bad name. I'll get off my soapbox now! J x